Friday 27 September 2013

IS ANN READY ?

After several months of speculations of being linked to the Super Falcons job, Bayo Salau recently met with  Ex-falcons legendary goalkeeper Ann Chiejine on her position and her new role in this chat,that she could not wait to have finished in minutes but finally took time to let the cat out of the bag. Excerpts

I thought that by now you will be in the position held currently by Falcons Coach Edwin Okon, what are you doing here? 

ANS -Well, i don't blow my trumpet on my own (laugh).. i mean i won the Lagos State festival last year so i don't need to tell people who i am. Ehmm...right now i am the Chief coach of the City of David  (C O D) ladies and coach of the U-17 youth tournament that is about to be played. The Lagos State Female team too preparing for the National Sport Festival next year which i am also in charge by virtue of being defending
champion so i have a whole lot i am doing.

Many have considered you ripe enough for the "hot seat" even though others feel it is too early for you to hold at least now? With all you have mentioned what exactly are your plans? 

ANS - When you see a coach,(take breath).. firstly i am a qualified coach and i have my Uefa "B" licence certificate. Working with ladies as a mother, i know what it takes to work with them.They are like eggs you carry them too much with care, when they are pressed too much, then it gets broken so is when you carry them anyhow they fall, furthermore you must know how to coach them, how to take good care of them which i have been doing. They are young lads and ready to learn so whatever you want them to do it is now you show it too them, whatever position you want them to play it is now you tell them so is the magic that comes with playing football too.

How did you come about these girls you work with presently? 

ANS-These are girls selected from schools, academies,and local teams,putting them together and making sure that the positives is earned out of them. In truth, i think coaching ladies have been interesting and at the same time hectic working with them.

Are you not under any pressure associated with the position you are in?

ANS- For me, I am not under pressure cos' it's what i like doing. I want to do it well to the best of my knowledge. I also thank God for the understanding that my family has got even in the face of travails.My husband also has been tremendous. My children knows mum wants to play football, mum is a coach now and wants to train players. I want to train players to be like me,that is for me called having fun and i am liking it.

The big news is your being linked to the Super falcons job. What do you have to say about this?

ANS- I am not the NFF or NFA as the case may be.They know what is best and who they want in the Job. For me, i am not afraid. I am ready to work if i am called upon and with any of the female national teams. But now i am not in a position to know who fits the job because i can't dictate to the football house.

Have you been impressed with the Super falcons lately?

ANS -Yeah! i watched them play against the U-17 boys of the Lagos State team,prior to their departing the country for Japan.It is a good one as they tried. Well there's cohesion and you still have a whole lot of time to harness the potential that lies within. The most important thing is to play together as a team and understand that my team-mate is going this way and there i should go. That way you are playing like a team should .But overall the coaches needs to do more in my opinion.

You seem to be sure of what the girls can do under the present handler especially as you feel they cohersed well but why didn't they defeat Japan?

ANS-(Exhale) I didn't see the Japan friendly so wouldn't know what transpired in it. But i must say here that a team with a 2-0 defeat to the World champions is a good team and it is a respectable score-line too for the Nigerian ladies.Perhaps subsequent meetings will be more favourable for them.

What is your story like in Playing football?

ANS- It is a long story that started way back from Secondary school,infact not in my secondary school level cos i remember playing with boys back then, and using oranges well before  football were fond memories of my early years. Before you know it i grew interest so much that i went in search of a club; i think CN Okoli was it when female football was introduced. Initially, i struggled for first team action with my club. 5-10 minutes of action is all i get to be part of matches cos i started at right full back and i was not enjoying it, but after several fringe playing role i decided to take into goalkeeping when advised by one of the coaches. Since then i never looked back.


Whilst playing football, who was your role model?

ANS- (Laugh) In goalkeeping of course i was looking up to Jorge Campos of Mexico, Casey Keller of the USA,and Gianluigi Buffon, Italy who presently has been my favourite because i like his footworks. Infact when i see them i want to do every little thing they have done .Looking at them meant so much to me during my playing days as i was into every thing they pushed for.

What do you do during your free period?

ANS- I just want to be with my family. Most of the time i am not always with them so if i have my time free, i want to dance with them,play as well with them because my time is precious as them. If i am not around, then i will know that, but once the opportunity to be with them presents itself then i will spend every time with them.

You still look so sweet even as a mother,any secret to that?

ANS- Hmmm..well when it comes to food i always watch what i eat nevertheless i think i love Eba with vegetables soup but little. At every little time i eat,i eat very little and in two, three hours i take another. I also like taking a  lot of fruits too.

Finally, your message for whoever that wants to take into football? perhaps goalkeeping

ANS- Determination, discipline,hardwork, and dedication. Then their desire will see them through

Thank you so much for you time?

ANS - It's my pleasure Bayo







No comments:

Post a Comment